As a day nursery, we are very much aware of the importance of providing a positive influence on children’s knowledge, attitudes and behaviour towards food and a healthy lifestyle. We believe the sharing of mealtimes is a vital part of a child’s social development and helps to reinforce a child’s understanding of the importance of healthy living. We provide healthy, sugar free snacks for the children twice a day, these snacks generally consist of fresh fruit and crackers. We encourage the children to drink plenty of water and they also have the option of milk at snack times, this helps to foster a positive approach to healthy eating.
Our staff members sit with the children during mealtimes and often share meals with them, thus role modelling the importance of healthy eating. We will always praise and reward the children for good behaviour by giving them stickers, certificates and sometimes prizes, we use positive language to encourage polite manners and kindness.
Every child with a dietary requirement will be served their meals in line with their requirements to ensure their individual dietary needs are respected and strictly adhered to.
- We will provide 5 fruit and veg portions over the full day
- Fresh fruit is offered at every session
- Milk or water will be offered during each session
- Hot lunches prepared fresh every day
- Children's individual dietary needs will be respected
- Children will be given sufficient time to eat and drink
- Staff will provide a good role model for eating
- We do not encourage sweets or cake in the nursery
- Fresh water will always be available to the children